CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, May 7, 2011

Spring Garden Clean up

Today was another beautiful Spring day here in Northern Minnesota. It was about 55 out and sunny. I couldn't ask for a better day. I spent hours outside cleaning up my garden trying to get it ready for spring planing. Here the last frost date isn't until June 15 so there is still quite a bit of time but I have a lot to do.

After getting Eli up and fed and sending him off to Grandma's house with dan I tackled the front raised bed. I am planning on turning it from flowers to vegetables so there were quite a few things I needed to do. I dug and dug and dug. I took out 60+ lily bulbs that I brought in to a friend for her to plant in her flower beds. I know there are many more in there so I have now decided that we are going to have to remove all of the dirt from this bed (to be used somewhere else) and start from scratch with a great mix suitable for vegetables.

I then came inside and started planting my seed. I started tomatoes, peppers, peas, green beans, and lettuce. I will add carrots and possibly onions when I plant outside. They are now in their mini indoor greenhouse for the next 5-7 weeks until we can plant outside.

This evening after we returned home I headed to the backyard to try to tame our raspberry jungle. When we moved into our home a little over a year ago there was a huge garden in the backyard. We had no idea what was in it but as summer came we realized it was over half raspberry bushes. Now half of these are old canes that don't produce berries anymore. I started to prune them and remove dead canes last year but I was too big and too pregnant to care. This year I am hoping to tame them and then work on the other half of the garden that is a horrible eye sore. I feel like barely made a dent in the garden back there but the section that I was working on looks great.

I can promise that there will be a lot more posts on my garden because I have a lot of work to do on it and really want to make it look nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment